Tempo Bank’s humble beginnings flowered from a group of Trenton businessmen and interested citizens that met regularly during 1889 to organize, capitalize, and charter the town’s first building and loan association. The official charter for Trenton Building and Loan Association was issued on November 9th, 1889. The first directors that served the association were Dr. Th. Gaffner, Louis Riemann, J.C. Padfield, Jac. Kuhn, C.J. Steinmetz, A. McDonald, S. Hammel, L.M. Koentz, and Louis Graue.
Trenton Building and Loan Association originally offered its services in a small room behind the existing Trenton House; however, the institution later moved into a vacant building on South Main Street where it remained until the 1950s. Then, Trenton Building and Loan Association relocated from the first block of South Main Street to 8 West Broadway in order to gain more visibility and traffic from Highway 50. Soon thereafter, the state modernized charter laws and Trenton Building and Loan became known as Trenton Savings and Loan Association.
By 1964, the Association had outgrown the 8 West Broadway space and moved to 10 West Broadway that was once occupied by the Farmers Bank while a new building was built around the 8 West Broadway building. In 1966, the Association moved back to 8 West Broadway into its newly renovated and constructed quarters which featured a concrete records vault, a drive-in window with access using the alley way among other modern conveniences.
In 1980 through a process of deregulation, interest-bearing checking accounts were authorized for thrift institutions, and public response to this new type of checking account was such that by 1981, the Association was once again feeling the building squeeze and began planning for expansion. Construction began on the current location in December 1981, and by January 1983, Trenton Savings and Loan Association was again on the move---this time to 28 West Broadway.
In late 1982, the Association expanded its operations and opened a branch location in Breese in order to solidify its relationship with the community. The Breese facility has continued to grow as it serves the financial needs of Breese and surrounding communities.
Just ahead of its 100th birthday, in September 1989, Trenton Savings and Loan adopted a plan of conversion that would change the institution from a state chartered mutual savings and loan to a federally chartered mutual savings bank. Its new name would become Tempo Bank.
In September 2006, the Bank adopted a plan of conversion that would move the Bank’s charter from a mutual form of ownership to a quasi-stock form of ownership by forming a Sugar Creek Mutual Holding Company and converting the mutual savings bank to a stock savings bank wholly owned by Sugar Creek Financial Corporation. A minority stock offering was held in which 45% of the authorized shares were sold to depositors and the public and on April 4th, 2007, the transaction was consummated and Tempo Bank became a stock saving bank.
In September 2013, the Bank adopted a “second step” plan of conversion. This time, the mutual holding company form of organization would be removed and replaced with a stock holding company structure more easily understood by the regulators and general public. Additional shares were offered to depositors, existing shareholders and the general public based upon subscription rights and the transaction closed on April 8th, 2014. Tempo Bank is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sugar Creek Financial Corp.
Starting as an organization to help the town citizens achieve home ownership, Tempo Bank now provides a full range of quality financial services and will continue to do our part to contribute to the future of Clinton County. Tempo Bank is dedicated to fulfilling its role as a meaningful financial and social center in the community and the directors, officers, and employees wish to thank you for your loyal patronage and look forward to serving you and generations to come.